Introduction to color rules in fashion
‘’I don’t have a taste in fashion and I can’t match the colors which suit me, so I will just wear black as usual!’’ this sounds so familiar to you, right? We know that you already have clothing that fits you with different color combinations. Then it doesn’t have to be a color matching process that fades away from your entire look. The truth is that blending three or more colors to create a usable palette is a talent that you should learn. It’s not a born talent and even the expert fashion designers are practicing this skill. And if they can do it, why can’t you?
It’s not that tough to learn these color rules in fashion as a skill. But this is something you should acquire from your own hard work. This skill will make you a unique person from others and it also influences your whole attitude. If you can choose the appropriate color combination for the appropriate occasion, you can influence the way other people feel about you and respond to you. So, from this article, we hope to update you about some golden color rules in fashion. So, that you can be a fashionable person just as you dreamed of.
Golden color rules in fashion
1. work with your original skin tone
Your skin color is the underlying color of your skin. So, the first color rule is to work with the original color of your skin instead of going against it. You may see some people look gorgeous when they wear warm colors while some people look gorgeous in light colors (cool colors). Your skin tone is the thing that demines whether you should wear warm colors or cool colors. This is because you should only wear clothing that goes with your original skin color.
If you have no idea about how to figure out what skin tone you have, here are two ways.
- The vein test– Go to a place where there is plenty of light and look at the color of the veins in your wrist. If the veins are greenish, warm colors suit you the best. If they are bluish color cool colors suit you the best.
- The metal test– wear a gold watch in one hand and a silver watch in the other hand. If the silver watch seems good on you, you better select the cool colors. if the gold one seems good on you, you better select the warm colors.
2. Be aware of your natural contrast
In color theory, the name contrast is given to the difference between lightness and the darkness of two or more colors. when the difference between colors increases the contrast also increases and when the difference between the colors decreases, the contrast also decreases.
When we take black and white colors as an example, the contrast of these colors is at a very high level. This is because there is a big gap between the lightness and the darkness of these colors. Off white and gray, maroon, and navy blue are some examples of colors with low contrast. The difference between the brightness and darkness of your face and hair is your natural contrast. Based on this, people are classified into three types.
- Low contrast- people with a light complexion, light hair, light eyelashes, and facial hair belong to this group. These type of people looks good in low contrast clothing like brown trousers, light-blue jackets, and a light pink long sleeve shirt.
- Medium contras– People with a tanned complexion, black or dark-colored hair, dark eyebrows, and facial hair belong to this group. This kind of people looks good in all low, medium, and high contrast clothing. But, medium contrast outfits like dark-blue trousers and orange sweaters suit them the most.
- High contrast- People with fair complexion, black hair, dark brows, and facial hair belong to this group. These type of people looks good in high contrast clothing like dark grey pants, white long sleeve shirts, and brown blazers.
3. Don’t wear more than three different colors.
Out of all the color rules in fashion, this is the most important rule. You will look like a stylish person if you limit yourself to three colors in each outfit. The reason for this is, when using three colors, at least two colors should be repeated at least one time. This helps your clothing to look more tidy and stylish.
If you want to wear three colors in your outfit, the triadic combo will help you. The triadic combo helps you to mix three colors in an outfit together. Not like the complementary colors, these triadic colors are located equidistantly on the color wheel.
Outfits made with these hues are typically used for casual or family events. When combining the colors correctly, they can generate a feeling of balance and cohesion for you. But, when wearing the triadic colors, the outfit may seem goofy sometimes. So don’t forget to ensure that your appearance is socially acceptable.
4. Examine seasons and social guidelines
The fourth color rule in fashion is following the seasons and guidelines. Sometimes you might follow all the above-mentioned color rules correctly and choose a color scheme that doesn’t suit you. This is why this rule plays a big role in fashion. When choosing an outfit, you must consider the occasion you are dressing for and the current season. If not, your costume may look unsuitable for the relevant occasion.
Each season has its own vibe. Matching your clothing according to the seasons is both attractive and fashionable. It’s recommended to select bright or cool colors like orange, light pink, and light green in the warm and eye-catching seasons like summer and spring. summer outfit collection. It’s recommended to select deep colors like dark brown, dark green in the seasons like winter and autumn. winter outfit collection.
Seasonal colors are a thing that comes and go every year and these trends are a bit difficult to follow. But, if you can follow our fourth color rule in fashion correctly, it won’t be that much hard for you.
5. Combining complementary colors
complimentary colors are very eye-catching and create a highlighting color combination. If you want to be exceptional in a crowd, you can use these complimentary colors because they provide an outstanding look to your face. If you are not satisfied with a saturated color combination, you can go for a deep color combination to get the same outstanding effect.
Instead of the complementary colors, you can also use split-complementary colors. split-complementary colors are analogous to complementary colors. In split-complementary colors, we don’t choose the opposing color. Instead of that, we choose one of the neighboring colors on the opposite side.